The Prefreshman Engineering Program (PREP) is an academically intense, mathematics-based summer project conducted at most college and university campuses throughout San Antonio. PREP identifies achieving middle and high school students with the interest and potential for careers in engineering, science, technology, and other mathematics-related areas and reinforces them in pursuit of these fields.
Dr. Manuel P. Berriozábal, a professor of mathematics at UTSA, founded the San Antonio Prefreshman Engineering Program in 1979. Enrollment particularly targets students who are female and members of minority groups that traditionally have been underrepresented in these professions. PREP stresses the development of abstract reasoning and problem solving skills, as well as the application of this knowledge, through coursework, team projects, class presentations, and examinations.
For more information please visit prep-usa.org
What are the eligibility requirements?
Middle and high school students from all school districts within the Greater San Antonio Area are encouraged to apply. Year 1 requirements include:
- Parental permission
- Recommendations from a mathematics teacher and a counselor, science or English teacher
- Satisfactory conduct grades and an essay
- Students in grades 6 and 7 require a 90 or better average in current mathematics, science and English class (85 or better if in honors or advanced placement)
- Students in grades 8, 9, and 10 require an 85 or better average in current mathematics, science and English class (80 or better if in honors or advanced placement)
- Students in grades 11 and 12 are admitted with special permission only.
- Year 2, 3 and 4 requirements: Students who successfully complete Year 1, 2 or 3 PREP are invited to apply for the following year of PREP.
When are applications accepted?
Applications for San Antonio PREP 2017 will be accepted between November 1, 2015 and January 30, 2017. Applications for TexPREP and USA-PREP have various start dates and closing dates as late as June 2017. Check the sites list for detail information.