The Prefreshman Engineering Program (PREP), under the UTSA Institute for P-20 Initiatives, is an academically rigorous mathematics-based summer enrichment program conducted at several college and university campuses in San Antonio, as well as, across the State of Texas and Nation. PREP identifies middle and high school students who have an interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and helps prepare those students for success in advanced studies and careers by providing a challenging academic program that emphasizes the development of abstract reasoning and problem solving skills and exposure to careers through speakers and field trips.
The original Prefreshman Engineering Program (PREP) was started in 1979 by the UTSA mathematics professor Dr. Manuel P. Berriozábal. Seven years later, PREP expanded throughout the state and became known as the Texas Prefreshman Engineering Program, or TexPREP for short. In 1997, thanks to a grant from NASA, TexPREP continued to grow and expand across the Nation and is now known simply as PREP.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Middle and high school students from all school districts within the Greater San Antonio Area are encouraged to apply. Year 1 requirements include:
- Parental permission
- Recommendations from a mathematics teacher and a counselor, science or English teacher
- Satisfactory conduct grades and an essay
- Students in grades 6 and 7 require a 90 or better average in current mathematics, science and English class (85 or better if in honors or advanced placement)
- Students in grades 8, 9, and 10 require an 85 or better average in current mathematics, science and English class (80 or better if in honors or advanced placement)
- Students in grades 11 and 12 are admitted with special permission only.
- Year 2, 3 and 4 requirements: Students who successfully complete Year 1, 2 or 3 PREP are invited to apply for the following year of PREP.
PREP Application Process For Summer 2018
PREP is currently reviewing all PREP applications. Results for PREP 2018 selection and non-selection will be sent to the e-mail address on the application no later than April 30, 2018. PREP2018 online/paper application submission is closed.
Important program dates:
- Monday, June 18 – Thursday, August 2, 2018
- Classes meet Monday through Thursday; Exception: field trip on one Friday during the 7 weeks
- Student Holiday, Wednesday, July 4th
- Parent Orientation will take place in the month of May at the site your student is accepted.
- Absences: Student is only allowed three excused absences
- Transportation: All applicants are responsible for their own transportation